Are you old enough to have played the old fashioned game of Leapfrog? Or young enough to have learned from someone who can still play it? If you don’t know the game or need a refresher course, here is the game:
What You Will Need:
- 2 or more Players (the more players, the more fun!)
- Backyard or other open space
What You Do:
- To play, have one or more players stand in a line (all facing forward), spaced 4 or more feet apart.
- All the players in the line should bend their backs while placing their hands on their knees to make a “high back”, or place their elbows on their knees to make a “small back”. Make sure to have players bend their head down, as well.
- The jumper selected to go first, stands behind the back of the last player, then leaps over the backs of all the players, one at a time by placing his hands on the back of the person at the back of the line. He must press on the person’s back and leap over the person, spreading his legs apart and hopping like a frog.
- When the leaper has arrived at the front of the line, he stops and forms either a “high back” or a “low back”.
- The last player in line now becomes the leaper, and leaps over the backs of all the other players.
- Continue playing until all players have had a chance to be the leaper.
So, what does this have to do with a “Playdate with God”, you ask?
I have often tried to skip over a step, a lesson, in life because it isn’t what I wanted to do or I did not feel up to it or for a variety of other reasons. Purposefully skipping over a life step is like losing out on a piece of life, a lesson from God, an important growth moment. I am purposing to live “set apart”, distinctly different, from the world in which I live because I am one of His children. I cannot live that way and dare to miss a life moment, one of God’s lessons. They are each and all too important as God has a plan for me and each moment is part of His plan for my life.
‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. ‘Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.'” Jeremiah 29:11-13 NASB
I want to miss nothing! Life gets busy and suddenly I have missed much, but my desire is to miss as little as possible, so I need to be in the Word, on my knees, at His side. I do not want to beat up on myself when I fall and fail at this, but I must pick myself up and ready myself to leap up onto and not over each lesson, each moment. I have had a lot of seriousness in my life lately so playing a little childhood “Leapfrog” seems like a good thing for me right now, but my body won’t allow that. So, instead, I shall sit with the Lord in the beauty of His days and learn from Him all that He will teach me.
Abiding with the Lord, rejoicing with Him, being able to glorify Him, and skipping over as little as I can, missing little or very little, is what I need for my peace.
LORD, I pray I stay near to You, am obedient to Your commands, follow Your steps so that I may grow more like You. I ask for Your gentleness to hold me close in these days, Your lovingkindness to comfort me, Your love to live in me, and Your peace to reign in my heart. Amen.
Photo: University of Tennessee, Knoxville – http://www.lib.utk.edu/arrowmont/Steve/Thumbnails/Access/arm00000072001.jpg
Graphic: St Anne’s Edgeside Primary School 2011 website- http://www.st-annes45.lancsngfl.ac.uk/prospectus/afterschool.html