He Who Is Sovereign
I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen. 1 Timothy 6:13-16
a ruler or officer:—of great authority, mighty, potentate
From Matthew Henry’s Commentary:
Concerning Christ and God the Father the apostle here speaks great things.
- (1.) That God is the only Potentate; the powers of earthly princes are all derived from him, and depend upon him. The powers that exist are ordained of God, Rom. 13:1. He is the only Potentate that is absolute and sovereign, and perfectly independent.
- (2.) He is the blessed and the only Potentate, infinitely happy, and nothing can in the least impair his happiness.
- (3.) He is King of kings, and Lord of lords. All the kings of the earth derive their power from him; he gave them their crowns, they hold them under him, and he has a sovereign dominion over them. This is Christ’s title (Rev. 19:16), upon his vesture and his thigh; for he has a name higher than the kings of the earth.
- (4.) He only has immortality. He only is immortal in himself, and has immortality as he is the fountain of it, for the immortality of angels and spirits derived from him.
- (5.) He dwells in inaccessible light, light which no man can approach unto: no man can get to heaven but those whom he is pleased to bring thither, and admit into his kingdom.
- (6.) He is invisible: Whom no man hath seen, nor can see. It is impossible that mortal eyes should bear the brightness of the divine glory. No man can see God and live.
Holy God, You are all that I ever need or want. Guide my steps so that I walk within Your will for my life. May we, K and I, continue to walk in step together under Your guidance. We both want to be in You will. We do not know just what that is right now, but we want to be there. As we are quiet before You, Father God, Your Sovereign ways are the only ones we want to know. May our lives represent You in all we are and all we do. We pray to know Your will, yet if we are walking with You, one step at a time, maybe we do not need to know what the whole picture looks like. Your ways are holy and right, LORD. May they be ours. We love You, Father. I pray in the Name of Jesus. Amen.